Thursday, October 30, 2008

Bridge to Hawaii

This has been such a serious week that I decided to lighten up a bit and adapt the old "Bridge to Hawaii" joke. Here's my version for DLA folks...just a joke, of course.....A DL Director was biking to her job at a California university, when all of the sudden she heard a big, booming voice from above. The Voice said, "You have done such a wonderful job as a DL Director and have helped to bring education to many people who previously did not have such opportunities. For your hard work, I will grant you one wish." The DL Director stopped her bike and pondered for a moment. Then she responded, "I would like for you to build a bridge to Hawaii so that I can ride my bike there any time I want." The Voice responded, "I need you to think more carefully. Your request is extremely difficult and would waste most of the natural resources that you have helped to save through your work in distance learning. You are asking for concrete and steel that will stretch thousands of miles long and hundreds of miles deep. Surely, you can think of something that is more in line with your true purpose." The DL Director thought for a long time, then finally responded. "I would like to be able to better understand and reach faculty. No matter what we do, they never seem completely satisfied. So what I want is for faculty to be happy." The Voice responded: "Do you want two lanes or four lanes on that bridge?"

No comments: