Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Distance Learning Administrators: A Unique Blend of Skills


I am often asked if I think that Distance Learning Administration is really a field, or if it just relies on general management principles. I would like to answer this from my own personal experience. When I first was hired at the University of West Georgia (as distance learning coordinator) in 1996, there was a fair amount of literature about online teaching, but almost nil about managing distance programs. To learn about how to be most effective in my new role, I found that my past experiences and education were only of moderate help - that the role of distance learning administrator was comprised of a unique blend of skills, insight, and forces. I learned as much as I could by interviewing and borrowing from the experiences of others, and through trial-and-error. To address this lacuna, I started the Online Journal of Distance Learning Administration, which is celebrating its 10th anniversary. The wealth of articles and interested generated from colleagues from all over the planet are evidence to me that this is indeed a field that deserves its own research and dialogue. Among the ingredients in the special mix that make up successful DL Admins are an understanding of: management, technology (though not tech guru level), faculty governance, historical principles in higher education, student support, retention, recruitment, faculty training, change leadership, evaluation, advisement, academic quality and accreditation, marketing, among others. Can you think of others?

No comments: