Monday, September 29, 2008

Out-of-Gas Instructors Turn to Online Teaching


The other day my daughter told me that one of her f2f courses was cancelled and that they would do their coursework online for the next week. The reason? The instructor, who had a 30-mile commute to campus, was uncertain whether or not she'd be able to find gas. Just last Friday, I traveled to teach the f2f portion of my hybrid course at one of our branch campuses, 45 minutes away. I was low on gas, but figured I would just fill up after class. Wrong! After finding six gas stations completely out, I gambled and drove the rural road to the next tiny town along my way back. The first three stations had none. I called my husband and put him on stand-by to pick me up as the needle fell below empty. Finally, the last station in town had gas, and about four cars in line. It was one of those old-timey stations, and they didn't take debit or credit cards. I managed to find a couple of dollars plus some change in the bottom of my purse, and got enough gas to get back home. I heard some reports of one of more community colleges cancelling classes altogether (why didn't they go online?), and one oil distributor even suggested that the Georgia-Alabama game be postponed or cancelled (what - never!). Unfortunately, the Georgia team, embarrased by their unexpected 41-30 brusing by the Crimson Tide, won't be able to blame the gas shortage on this one.

No comments: